If you are stepping into the national capital of India as a first-time visitor, then these are the 5 experiences I want you to try.
- DELHI INSIDER TIP #1: Hear qawwalis (devotional music) sung at dargah of Nizamuddin Auliya; religious songs resounding at around sunset at one of Islam’s holiest tombs. Nizammudin West Slum, Nizamuddin West, New Delhi, Delhi 110013
- DELHI INSIDER TIP #2: Ride on the Delhi metro: so cheap, so clean, so democratic, unlike the other world upstairs.
- DELHI INSIDER TIP #3: Wander around Lodhi Gardens on a Sunday afternoon, the perfect place for people watching. Rose Garden Lodhi Road, Lodhi Gardens, Lodhi Estate, New Delhi, Delhi 110003
- DELHI INSIDER TIP #4: Chow down on scrumptious masala dosas at the Janpath branch of Saravana Bhavan, and finish your meal with a deliciously gritty south Indian coffee. 46, Janpath, New Delhi – 110 001
- DELHI INSIDER TIP #5: Wind up at the Jama Masjid, climb the mosque’s minaret, then enjoy a classic non-veg meal at nearby culinary institution Karim’s (Kalan Mehal, Chandni Chowk, New Delhi, Delhi 110002) or Al-Jawahar (No.8, Jama Masjid Matia Mahal Road, Chandni Chowk, Opp Gate No.1, Kalan Mehal, Delhi 110006), famous for their roasted meat kebabs.
Let us know if you have any other insider tips to Delhi in the comments below!
NANDITHA IS A FULL-TIME SENIOR BUSINESS ANALYST BY PROFESSION, A FREELANCE MAGAZINE WRITER BY PASSION AND A VAGABOND ENTHUSIAST BY CHOICE. A VORACIOUS READER AND NATURE LOVER, SHE TRAVELS EXTENSIVELY IN HER FREE TIME IN AN ATTEMPT TO DEMYSTIFY GLOBAL CULTURES, MEET WITH NEW EXPERIENCES AND QUENCH HER GASTRONOMICAL CRAVINGS. SHE POSTS HER TRAVEL PHOTOS REGULARLY ON INSTAGRAM.