- What was your favorite travel experience? Getting lost trying to find the post office in Venice, Italy.
- What is the best piece of advice you ever received as a traveler? Go where the locals go. Make an effort to speak with them in their language. Express your appreciation for their country.
- How do you stay fabulous while you travel? Comfortable walking shoes, staying hydrated, and making sure to get some rest.
- What’s your greatest extravagance when traveling? Local, authentic cuisine.
- On what items do you prefer to save money rather than spend money when traveling? Souvenirs.
- What’s your most important travel item? My camera.
- What characteristics do you dislike about yourself when you travel? The obsessive need to have every detail planned–my best experiences have been ones that were unplanned. I’m also painfully shy about trying to communicate.
- What characteristics do you dislike about others when you travel? Constant complaining, seeing any aspect of another culture as being inferior to their own or expecting things to be done to accommodate the comfort level they are used to in the U.S.
- What do you most value in a travel buddy? Being laid back, relaxed, humble, and open-minded, and taking the inevitable hiccups in stride. Someone who appreciates a good drink and trying new foods.
- What do you absolutely have to know before you go? A few key phrases in the language, safety tips, the general layout of the place, some social etiquette, the signature dishes of the area and good places to get them.
- What travel experiences are still on your bucket list? Costa Rica, Ireland, Rome and Florence, Egypt, Peru, Japan. Visit all states in the U.S. Hopefully space travel is possible and affordable before I kick the bucket!
- How do you plan for travel, especially paying for it? Travel planning is part of my monthly budget as much as groceries and utilities are. I frequently check search engines for good deals on airfare and lodging, keeping in mind what the weather and tourist crowd will be like at certain times of year. Asking locals for tips on lodging/dining can really help stretch your dollar.
NINA LIVES IN COLORADO WITH HER KITTY YOSHI AND WORKS IN A MICROBIOLOGY LABORATORY AT A HOSPITAL. HER PASSIONS INCLUDE FOOD, SCIENCE, OIL PAINTING, CREATIVE WRITING, CATS, AND TRAVEL. HER LOVE FOR TRAVEL WAS IGNITED WHEN HER MOTHER WOULD BRING HER ON TRIPS TO THE PHILIPPINES EVERY FEW YEARS TO VISIT FAMILY. SINCE THEN, NINA HAS HAD AN INSATIABLE APPETITE TO WITNESS HOW LIFE EXISTS IN OTHER PLACES IN THE WORLD. HER GOAL IS TO SEE A NEW COUNTRY EVERY YEAR AND TO VISIT HER FAMILY IN THE PHILIPPINES AS OFTEN AS POSSIBLE.