- What was your favorite travel experience? Thailand is the country I prefer among all the countries I visited. However, doing snorkeling on Koh Tao Island remains my best travel memory. Turquoise blue water and hundreds of colorful fishes and corals at only a few centimeters from the seaside: it’s such a magical and unforgettable moment.
- What is the best piece of advice you ever received as a traveler? To be self-confident and to have confidence in your abilities. Even if leaving for the unknown may scare you, you have to jump. You will achieve it! You will be able to overcome obstacles and to get strong in unexpected situations. Moreover, often everything happens well in the end, and you realize that people are charitable. So leave your fears behind you keep your head up!
- How do you stay fabulous while you travel? I don’t really have a secret. The only thing that I do when I’m travelling is to take care of my skin. I always take sun lotion, after sun lotion and a moisturizing cream. I also often take a beautiful necklace.
- What’s your greatest extravagance when traveling? Food. I allow myself to eat in very good restaurants and I want to taste every local specialty.
- On what items do you prefer to save money rather than spend money when traveling? I save my money on transports and accommodation and I would rather spend more money for activities, visits and restaurants. I prioritize hostels over hotels. Furthermore in hostels it’s possible to meet a lot of backpackers. Regarding transports I prefer taking bus and trains rather than a plane even for long distance. In trains I always choose a reclining seat over a couchette (sleeper).
- What’s your most important travel item? My camera is my most important travel item to immortalize my trip. Others items are also important for me when I’m travelling such as my lonely planet guide which gives all the important pieces of information.
- What characteristics do you dislike about yourself when you travel? When I travel I want to have the lightest backpack as possible. But when I’m in the country I sometimes realize that I forget convenient things and instead I took some belongings that I never use during my trip.
- What characteristics do you dislike about others when you travel? When I stay in hostel I’m confronted with other travelers that I don’t know. Sometimes when they don’t respect the basis of community that bothers me. For instance when they return to the hostel during the night and turn on the light and speak loudly when you are sleeping, I get really mad.
- What do you most value in a travel buddy? I think for a travel buddy it’s important to come to an agreement with everybody to know what kind of travel is expected. Some people like staying in a hostel around the swimming-pool: that’s not what I like. I prefer leaving with those who share my concept of travelling.
- What do you absolutely have to know before you go? Before to go I have to know a lot of things: security and health recommendations. Also the things there are to do and to see: most of the time all you have to know is in the lonely planet guide.
- What travel experiences are still on your bucket list? I hope I will visit every country on the earth. Those which I’m particularly interested in for the moment are Australia, India, South Africa, Comoros Islands, Peru, Bolivia, Morocco, and Iran.
- How do you plan for travel, especially paying for it? It’s a very important question, especially when you are a student, like me. I work each summer for 3 months to finance my trips. I also choose the cheapest options like hostels. Finally, I space out expenditures: I begin with the purchase of the plane ticket and some months later I pay the hostel.
Sarah is a native of Northern France. She’s a law student and she takes advantage of her vacations to travel through the world. She began to travel when she was 16 to Canada and since then she is dreaming of going around the world. She has visited Canada, USA, Brazil, Thailand, China, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Belgium, Belarus, Netherlands, and England. She has other pastimes such as snorkeling, hiking and taking photographs.